Living abroad is a test for a couple but there are some things you can do to have a good relationship during your expat time. In this episode I am telling you about an interview I had with Olaf Schwantes.
In this episode I will talk about:
- Why living abroad is such a special situation for a couple
- Why couples either get closer or you break up
- Why divorce rates among expat couples are high
- Why it is important for the relationship that you talk about expectations and wishes before your expat time
- How you can prepare your marriage for the time abroad
- How you can set up some emotional rules
- How you can reconnect as a couple
- Why you need rituals
- Why it is important to acknowledge your husband or wife
- Which questions you can ask to communicate in a good way
- Why you need to be very concrete while talking to your partner
- How you can communicate your feelings and emotions
- Why you shouldn’t assume
- How you can handle feelings like sadness, anger, frustration, homesickness and others
- Why you need to see yourself as a team
- What is toxic for a relationship
- Why you need to talk about roles in your relationship
- Why you need to take time together
- How you can create a couple’s vision for your expat time
- Why you should do a little assessment on where you stand every year of at the midpoint of your expat time
Do you have ideas or feedback for me?
When you have an idea for a topic that you want covered in the podcast, please write me an e-mail under email@example.com on Facebook or Instagram. I will either answer your question myself in an episode or will find an expert who can do this.
Who and where are you?
I am so curious who you are and where you are in the world. I would be so happy if you wrote me an e-mail under firstname.lastname@example.org send me messages on Facebook or Instagram to let me know where you are and what you are doing while listening to the podcast. If you add a picture, I would be extra happy!
If you never want to miss another episode of the Expat Partner Podcast…
…please subscribe to the podcast in your favorite podcast app or here on iTunes.
The shownotes from this episode: